Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine Read Alouds


Jasper is searching for the perfect gift for his bunny love. Snowy Valentine reminds me a bit of the Gruffalo in that it is a circuitous story with a hint of danger. Bobo and I both enjoyed this adorable story.


I Love You, ZooBorns! is a fantastic easy reader with new vocabulary. The owl is our favorite. He's so fluffy and cute! The photography is just right with capturing the love mood.


The perfect Valentine book for a boy! Leon has a secret crush on Zoey Maloney. He makes her a Valentine confessing his love. The Valentine tries to persuade Leon to give up his crush because, 
Love is yucky,
Stinky too!
It will turn your brain to goo.
Bobo has been singing this song all week. The little Valentine may change his mind about love when he comes face-to-face with a girl Valentine. Definitely check this book out for a funny, upbeat Valentine story.


I love Jan Brett, but I don't often share her stories aloud. The story becomes richer with the illustrations, which you need to explore carefully. It doesn't lend itself to sharing with a large group. Fortunately, I have an audience of one at home, so I was excited to read the new Jan Brett book about a lovesick turtle. Mossy is an interesting character. She is a turtle who loves her home and even begins to grow part of it on her shell. She is discovered by a natural museum curator and taken away. But the curator's niece shows her aunt, Mossy would be happier in her natural environment. Mossy returns to her beloved Lilypad Pond to find her mate, Scoot. The last page is simply an illustration, which I flipped right over, but Bobo exclaimed, "Awww, her babies!" When I turned back, Mossy did indeed have a family.

What has your family been reading? Find more ideas for read alouds at Read-Aloud Thursday and the Children's Bookshelf.

3 comments:

  1. We just heard "The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever" for the first time at our library's storytime. It was quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE Jan Brett, and I thought Mossy was just beautiful.

    All of your Valentine picks are new ones to me. That first one especially looks sweet.

    I'm so glad you linked up to RAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books sound fun, I can't believe I haven't read any of them. Thanks for sharing at The Children's Bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!