Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Messy Learning Lab: Rainbow Floam and Rice


Last week, I dumped the rice I had left from making raindrops for another craft into three ziplock bags and squirted some liquid watercolor paint into it. I rubbed the paint all around in the bag until I had a color I liked and spread it out to dry.

Scooping, dumping and pouring galore
Most of the rice ended up on the floor and that's fine because it's so easy to sweep up.


Floam is a foam substance that sticks together but doesn't make hands sticky. It is the biggest hit with parents so far! I ordered several bricks of floam from Discount School Supply for the library's playgroup last year. I don't think it dries out as I've kept it in the original bags with no problem.


As you can see, all the colors mix into a giant ball of floam. I think it looks beautiful. Plus, if you pack it tight enough, the pieces bounce! For clean-up, I simply break the floam apart into 6 bricks and stuff them back in the bags. I use the large pieces to "suck" up the rest. Easy peasy!

Sharing with Kids Co-Op and TGIF and For the Kids Friday

2 comments:

  1. I recently bought some floam but haven't brought it out yet for my kids to use. But I think you've inspired me to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous, I hope your kids enjoy. I'm going to put it back out next week, too, with a little twist for variety.

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!