Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fall Storytime

I'm finally sharing my 2- and 3-year-old storytimes! As the storytime sessions have ended until next year, I have a few weeks to catch up with posting. I present to you Fall...


People in Fall by Martha Rustad has simple text accompanied by photographs of children. It includes activities people do in the Fall because of the changing weather. It is an excellent series to use with toddlers as it shows items and actions they may be familiar with while also describing new things and vocabulary.

"The Floppy Scarecrow" action rhyme from preschooleducation.com.
The floppy, floppy scarecrow
Guards his fields all day.
He waves his floppy, floppy hands
To scare the crows away!
Additional verses: arms, toes, head, legs

Image from Storytime Secrets
"Five Brown Acorns" sung to the tune of "10 Green Bottles" from A Box Full of Tales by Kathy MacMillan.
Five brown acorns hanging on the tree,
Five brown acorns hanging on the tree,
And if one brown acorn should fall down to me,
There'll be four brown acorns hanging on the tree.
Repeat: 4, 3, 2, 1

"The Pumpkin Song" from A Box Full of Tales by Kathy MacMillan.
I had a little pumpkin,
I put it down just so, (squat)
And then I waved my magic wand
And it began to grow...and grow... (raise up)
And grow... and grow... and grow! (stretch arms overhead)
Additional verses: giant pumpkin and as quick as you can blink/shrink
Tiny pumpkin and put it down just so/grow/stop

Mouse's First Fall by Lauren Thompson follows Mouse through all of his first Fall activities. The Mouse series is another great option for toddlers. The illustrations are colorful and the text large. Mouse is an recognizable character with whom they can relate.

Squirrel and Nut matching game. I put up different color squirrels on the flannel board and hand out several color of nuts to each child. When I put up the color that matches the one they have, they can bring it up to the board and receive applause.

Musical Instruments/Scarves Activity: Scarves
"Wave Together" from Mother Goose on the Loose by Betsy Diamant-Cohen.
We wave our scarves together,
Wave our scarves together,
Wave our scarves together because it's fun to do.

"Owl in a Tree" sung to the tune of "Skip to My Lou" and I've lost the source for this one as I've used it for so many years. 
Owl in a tree says hoo, hoo, hoo.
Owl in a tree says hoo, hoo, hoo.
Owl in a tree says hoo, hoo, hoo.
Owl in a tree says peek-a-boo. (hold scarf in front of face)

"I'm a Little Scarecrow" sung to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot" by Miss Courtney.
I'm a little scarecrow stuffed with hay.
Here I stand in the field all day.
When I see the crows, I like to say,
"All you crows, go away!"

Parade Song: "I Love the Mountains" from Music Time for All Four Seasons by Robin Dupuis. 

"Away, Away" from Mother Goose on the Loose
Away, away, put our scarves away today.
Repeat until all scarves are collected.

Lull-a-bye: "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"


Cinnamon-scented Acorn Craft. 

Pre-cut acorn shapes from brown construction paper. Mix brown tempera paint with cinnamon until it smells strongly. The acorns smell of cinnamon even after weeks of being dry! Mmmm, smells like Fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!